Wellness Corner: Helping Employees Understand BMI
Updated: Feb 16
Employees are integral to a business, which means that taking care of them should be a top priority for employers. Offering wellness initiatives throughout your organization can be a great way to support their well-being.
One common topic that can be discussed in the workplace is body mass index (BMI), or the measure of body fat based on height and weight. Too much body fat increases risk of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and some cancers, which is why many individuals look to keep their percentage in a healthy range.
So what can employers do to help? Here are a few tips:
- Work with a professional to provide information about body fat percentage
- Encourage walking groups to help burn calories
- Provide gym memberships or discounts for employees looking for resistance training, or invite a fitness professional to demonstrate at-home workouts
- Host lunch and learn programs with a professional dietician (protein is important!)
- Support a culture of healthy lifestyles
Interested in learning more? SynchronyHR offers wellness consulting and plan development as part of our human resources outsourcing (HRO) services. Reach out today to learn how your business can benefit from our wellness professionals.